Meet the 2021 valedictorians

from UQ's Faculty of Health and Behavioural Sciences

This year, five students from UQ's Faculty of Health and Behavioural Sciences have been awarded as valedictorians of their cohorts. 

Meet the high achieving graduates recognised for their outstanding efforts in the fields of midwifery, psychology, occupational therapy, pharmacy and health, sport and physical education.  

Matilda Ingram
Matilda Ingram

Supplied: Matilda Ingram

Supplied: Matilda Ingram

Matilda Ingram  

Bachelor of Midwifery (Honours)
School of Nursing, Midwifery and Social Work 

What inspired you to study this program at UQ? 

I pursued midwifery because I wanted to make the childbearing period a positive experience for those I cared for. I consider my job to be a privilege; it is a privilege that women and families let me into their lives at such a special and memorable point. A big factor that drew me to UQ was the research opportunities they offered. I always knew that research was something I was passionate about, so I wanted to choose a university that could offer me a degree with numerous pathways and opportunities for both clinical and research-based experience. 

What has been the most memorable moment at UQ? 

In the final year of my Bachelor’s degree I took part in a staff-student partnership initiative where a group of second- and third-year midwifery students collaborated with midwifery lecturers to provide an educational day for first year students where we conducted skills-based sessions and discussed what midwifery means to us. Each of us then mentored a group of first-year students through the entirety of their first year of studies at UQ, giving advice about study strategies, clinical practice and coping with the transition into university. I found this experience very rewarding as I was able to see the passion each student had for midwifery and learn the different motivations behind their choice of degree. As part of the staff-student partnership, I was also able to present our initiative at the staff-student presentation day and collaborate with midwifery lecturers from around the country. This experience was a very memorable and educational experience and one that I took many learnings from. 

What does being awarded Valedictorian mean to you? 

It is such a privilege to be awarded Valedictorian. It isn’t something that I ever thought I would achieve, so it is very satisfying to see the years of hard work be recognised in this way. However, for me, the only recognition I require is inner satisfaction and pride in myself for the work I do, the effort I put in and the way I approach my study and work. This award is more than external recognition to me; it is a symbolic award. It represents the obstacles I have had to overcome in the last 12 months and is a reminder that if you surround yourself with the right people and have the right mindset, then no challenge is too great. 

What advice would you give to future UQ students? 

My biggest piece of advice would be to prioritise and put time aside for self-care. Self-care will look different for everyone. For me, self-care means setting time aside for exercise and cooking, and investing time in people who understand me for me. I truly believe that if you want to optimise your potential, whether that be academically, socially or personally, you have to be in the right mindset. 

Two student walking on a path fringed with palms and jacarandas with famous Gatton building behind

Jacinta Cross

Bachelor of Health, Sport and Physical Education (Honours)  
School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences 

For me, choosing which university to turn my teaching dream into a reality at was really a no-brainer because there were so many things I loved about the St Lucia campus and the Bachelor of Health, Sport and Physical Education (Honours) program. As the program is a very specialised degree only allowing aspiring teachers to become a HPE and Science teacher, this attracts a small demographic of approx. 30-40 students per year intake. This tight-nit community in conjunction with world class sporting and science facilities (i.e. laboratories, outdoor courts, fields, pools, indoor gymnasiums and high tech exercise physiology equipment) gave me the confidence I would receive a personal, quality education. 

My top three most memorable moments are: 
1. Human Movement and Nutrition Science Ball (2021)  
2. Co-writing a reflective essay on my experience in student-staff partnerships that is to be published in the ‘International Journal of Students as Partners’ (2021) 
3. Receiving the ACHPER QLD Preservice Teacher Award (2021) 

How did you manage to balance your study, work and other extracurricular activities?   

I was highly organised and realistic with how much time I needed to dedicate to each commitment. Every Sunday night after dinner, I would create a weekly plan using a colour coded key. Each commitment would have its own corresponding colour, to which I would schedule my commitments with the highest importance first, in order down to the least importance. When I did this, I ensured I provided an adequate amount of time to each (often over scheduling time) to ensure I could give each commitment the time it required to succeed well. Throughout this process, I also ensured I was scheduling in down time for myself to recharge, as well as time for exercise and social activities, as these factors were important for me to maintain a well-balanced lifestyle. 

What do you believe it takes to become a valedictorian?  

One word - passion. I believe to become a valedictorian you need to be passionate about your area of study, passionate about the willingness to explore new opportunities and passionate about wanting to be your best self. I believe overall this passion supported me to not only achieve success to become a valedictorian, but to also enjoy the process and not just strive for high achievement for the purpose of a title but to also expose myself to opportunities to grow.   

Jacinta Cross
Jacinta Cross

Supplied: Jacinta Cross

Supplied: Jacinta Cross

UQ Art Gallery with reflection of Forgan Smith in its windows

Image: Natalie MacGregor

Image: Natalie MacGregor

Danielle Reeves
Danielle Reeves

Supplied: Danielle Reeves

Supplied: Danielle Reeves

Danielle Reeves

Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)

From a young age I have loved meeting others, hearing their stories, and making in a difference in other people’s life when they needed it most. A turning point was my inquisitive younger self questioning what I would want to be when I grew up and it was my mum who said she met a lady called an occupational therapist. I asked the dreaded question of what they do and after some google searches and conversations with the school career counsellor, I realised that is exactly what I want to be. Helping people do the things most important to them. As a health consumer myself and seeing loved ones meet health professionals, I understand the importance of needing someone who is willing to listen and connect. I choose UQ because I knew it was a leading tertiary institution for allied health, I knew I would be surrounded by other passionate people, learn from the best in my field and be challenged to step outside of my comfort zone I knew it would provide me with a solid foundation. 

What drove you to become such a high achiever?   
In all honesty I have not always been a high achiever. I feel that at university you have the opportunity to study something you are passionate about and if you are willing to apply yourself the possibilities are endless! 

Would you like to share any major obstacles or hardships you have overcome throughout your studies? 

In second year, I was confronted with illness requiring multiple operations and hospital admissions. It created a lot of turmoil about my ability to continue studying. However, I was unable to work, socialise and so continuing to study was the only normality I had. I dug a little deeper and studying provided me with distraction from my health concerns. Meeting many health professionals who cared and supported me served as motivation for me to continue studying and be able to provide this to someone else one day. 

What’s next for you?

I was successful with a new graduate position at the Princess Alexandra Hospital and my first 6-month rotation is in the Brain injury Rehabilitation Unit which was my dream job. I am excited to begin my career and have increased independence and autonomy! I am looking forward to working clinically hope to also explore teaching and research opportunities.   

Reflective windows of Advanced Engineering building with sky visible

Image: Natalie MacGregor

Image: Natalie MacGregor

Samantha King

Bachelor of Pharmacy (Honours)
School of Pharmacy

What are you most passionate about?  

I am passionate about equality in medicines accessibility, affordability, and safety – irrespective of a patient’s location or circumstance. As a future healthcare provider, I aim to positively contribute to the healthcare workforce to help close the gap between existing healthcare disparities for disadvantaged populations.     

Being recognised as the valedictorian for the schools of Pharmacy and Public health is an incredible honour and privilege. I felt unbelievably grateful to be recognised by my university for my involvement within various avenues of pharmacy employment, academia, leadership and volunteer-work throughout my past four-years of undergraduate study. 

If you were to give advice to current or future UQ students, what would that be?   
Don’t be afraid to get involved! I’ve found that my participation in extracurricular activities and leadership groups have not only strengthened my professionalism and confidence working in teams- but, have helped me discover newfound friendships and passion for my profession and community. 

What’s next for you?  

I am extremely happy and excited to pursue my internship year with Queensland Health Metro South in Redlands Hospital, Cleveland. Following my registration as a clinical pharmacist, I would love to continue expanding my professional development and scope of practice by undertaking a residency program, engaging in pharmaceutical research -or- pursuing additional accreditation as a diabetes educator or in a Master of Clinical Pharmacy! 

Samantha King
Samantha King

Supplied: Samantha King

Supplied: Samantha King

Side view of UK Lakes with jacaranda in bloom across the front of shot

Image: Natalie MacGregor

Image: Natalie MacGregor

Freya Letchford-Cross

Freya Letchford-Cross

Bachelor of Psychology (Honours)
School of Psychology

I have always been fascinated by how humans behave and interact with each other. I was inspired to study psychology because I wanted to understand people better and ultimately help those who are struggling. I decided to study at UQ because of the world-renowned teaching faculty and the school’s many applied and research contributions to the field of psychology

How does it feel to be the first in your family to attend university?

I’ve always loved to learn so everyone in my family always expected me to go to university eventually. They have always encouraged me to do what I am passionate about and have always believed in my abilities. All my family lives overseas, so even though they haven’t been here for my whole degree, I’ve facetimed them for every grade release, harsh feedback, thesis marks, when I got the call for valedictorian – so I know they are bursting with pride for me.  

What advice would you give to current or future students?

1.     Always try to answer your own questions first and prep an answer or have a solution prepared. You’ll only be able to understand the answer if you understand your own question first.

2.     Surround yourself with people smarter than you think you are. Not only does this keep you motivated to keep up, but these people will inspire you and build your passion.

3.      Go up and introduce yourself to people!

I feel extremely honoured. I have really enjoyed my university experience and this is just the cherry on top. I can’t really put into words what it means to me, but it feels validating to have all my hard work and extra commitments acknowledged with this award.