UQ AFLW star breaks down gender barriers

A young football player with brunette hair and a maroon uniform smiles towards the camera.

Natalie Grider has kicked many personal goals since being drafted into the Brisbane Lions’ AFLW team, including one that many professional footballers never achieve – a premiership title.

The University of Queensland School of Human Movement student describes the 2021 premiership win as a proud moment she’ll never forget.

“It was pretty amazing and something that will definitely go down in history for us as a club,” Ms Grider said.

It was a big year for the 21-year-old, who in just her third season, was also an AFLW Rising Star Nominee.

But she says just getting drafted in 2018 was a major achievement.

Watch the interview with UQ student and AFLW footballer Natalie Grider.

“I grew up loving the sport, but I never thought it was possible to be a professional AFL player because I was female,” she said.

“Growing up, especially in high school, I was always the girl who played AFL and no-one understood why I was so passionate about a game that was only played professionally by men.”

There were also the little jibes that Natalie thinks would have discouraged other girls from playing.

“The little comments you would get about your sexuality, and whether or not you should be playing the game at all,” she said.

While she is incredibly grateful to be playing professionally, she says there is a long way to go before the women’s team achieves parity with the men.

“My partner plays with the men’s team and I get to see firsthand what it’s like to be a full-time professional athlete,” she said.

When she’s not training or studying for a Exercise and Sports Science degree, Natalie Grider is working as a hospital administrative assistant.

“It makes it really hard that we aren’t there [equal pay] yet, but I think it is just a matter of time,” she said.

“People can support female athletes by just sitting down and watching the game – those things really help.”

It’s the growing popularity of the women’s game that gives her hope for the future of the sport.

“It would make a massive difference to participation rates if young girls could see that it’s possible to be a professional athlete without working nine-to-five.”

“I have great hope for the competition, and faith in the people in charge of us that things will improve sooner than we think.”

UQ Media and Communications communications@uq.edu.au
+61 (0)429 056 139

A female football player sits in a sports lockeroom with headphones on, holding a yellow football.