An image of UQ student Claire Colwill in action for the Hockeyroos during the FIH Hockey Women's World Cup in Spain.

UQ student Claire Colwill in action for the Hockeyroos during the FIH Hockey Women's World Cup. Image: Irina R. H./Europa Press via Getty Images

Hockey star's dream comes true as UQ athletes chase Commonwealth Games glory

It’s been a year to cherish for UQ student and emerging hockey star Claire Colwill. The 19-year-old made her debut for Australia against New Zealand in May, then helped the Hockeyroos claim bronze at the FIH Hockey Women’s World Cup in July.

Her focus now shifts to Birmingham, where she has been named in the Hockeyroos squad for the 2022 Commonwealth Games.

Colwill said being selected in Australia’s Commonwealth Games squad was an honour and a privilege.

“I felt a whirlwind of emotions when the team was announced,” she said.

“Above all, I felt proud to be awarded the opportunity to represent my country at such a prestigious event.”

From the outside, it would appear to be a meteoric rise for the second-year Clinical Exercise Physiology student. But Colwill said her achievements over the past three months have been the culmination of years of hard work and dedication.

“I wouldn’t say I was expecting to be awarded this many opportunities thus far,” she said.

“Though these selections may have been in rather quick succession, it’s been a long journey to reach this point and I’m fortunate to be one of 18 players to take part in the World Cup and the Commonwealth Games.

“To find out I was playing for the Hockeyroos was a memory that is unparalleled to any other, and my first cap for Australia will remain one of the best highlights of my sporting journey.” 

At the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games, the Hockeyroos lost their gold medal match 4–1 to New Zealand, and Colwill said the team will be aiming to go one better than their silver medal performance this time around.

But she also acknowledged their need to re-set as they prepare to tackle a second major tournament in consecutive months.

“The team headed to Birmingham for the Commonwealth Games immediately after the World Cup [played in Spain and the Netherlands], so there’s not a lot of time to relax,” the midfielder said.

An image of Claire Colwill going head-to-head with Belgium's Ambre Ballenghien during the FIH Hockey Women's World Cup.

Claire Colwill goes head-to-head with Belgium's Ambre Ballenghien during the FIH Hockey Women's World Cup. Image: Irina R. H./Europa Press via Getty Images.

“This World Cup has allowed me to dive deeper into international hockey and gain a clearer understanding of the great efforts and physicality the sport requires.

“But overall, the team and I have been focussed on our process and way of play. This comes with great attention to detail in all aspects of our game.” 

Colwill grew up in Mackay, in North Queensland, and said she is excited to follow in the footsteps of fellow Mackay athletes such as Olympians Cathy Freeman and Geoff Huegill, as well as Australian hockey representatives Baeden Choppy, Stephen Lambert, Matthew Swann, Tracey Belbin, Kirsten Dwyer and Teneal Attard.

“It’s an honour to be following in the footsteps of those Mackay athletes who came before me. They have inspired many young athletes and have given numerous people around the world something to aspire to,” she said.

“Mackay was where I first learned many of the core skills of hockey. Having the opportunity to access the facilities on a regular basis, I was able to accelerate my progression through hockey.

“Today, I have access to some of the best coaches, facilities and equipment, but I will always appreciate the time and support I was given back home. The town continues to celebrate my success in the media, through private messages and in person.”

Image: Eric Verhoeven/Soccrates/Getty Images

An image of Claire Colwill in action for the Hockeyroos.

In total, eight UQ students, alumni and community members will compete at the 2022 Commonwealth Games, five of whom are Para-athletes.

Master of Physiotherapy student Emily Meaney will compete in the 10-metre individual platform diving event, while Bachelor Advanced Science (Honours) student Elizabeth Dekkers will be chasing success in the 200 metres butterfly.

Multiple Paralympic and Commonwealth Games champion, and Bachelor of Communication student, Lakeisha Patterson has her sights set on another gold medal. This time she will swim up a class in the SM10 200 metres individual medley.

An image of UQ graduate Brenden Hall pumps his first in the air while celebrating winning gold in S9 100 metres backstroke at the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games.

UQ graduate Brenden Hall celebrates after winning gold in S9 100 metres backstroke at the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games. Image: Ian MacNicol/Getty Images

Meanwhile, Bachelor of Exercise and Sports Sciences (’17) graduate Brenden Hall will be aiming to defend his Commonwealth Games S9 100 metres backstroke title, after claiming gold in the event at the Gold Coast in 2018. He will line up against Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) student Harrison Vig.

UQ Swim Club member Jack Ireland will contest the S14 200 metres freestyle.

In the Para-triathlon, Bachelor of Health, Sport and Physical Education (Honours) student Felicity Cradick will compete as a guide for Erica Burleigh, who will be Australia’s sole female para-triathlete in Birmingham.

A UQ Sporting Scholarship can help you achieve your sport and education goals