A young hockey player guiding the ball with her stick on a blue hockey field
UQ student and emerging hockey star Claire Colwill has had a busy year ticking off sporting goals. Credit: Getty Images
25 July 2022

UQ student and emerging hockey star Claire Colwill is experiencing a whirlwind of emotions after being selected to represent Australia at the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham this week.

The second-year Bachelor of Clinical Exercise Physiology student has already had an extremely busy year, making her debut with the Hockeyroos in Auckland in May before helping the side to claim bronze in the FIH Women’s World Cup, played in Spain and the Netherlands recently.

Ms Colwill said she was thrilled to be ticking off so many sporting goals in such quick succession.

“There’s no memory that will ever top playing my first cap for the Hockeyroos,” Ms Colwill said.

“I have no doubt it will always be a highlight of my sporting career.

“But being able to represent Australia at the Commonwealth Games is a true honour and a privilege.”

The 19-year-old midfielder began playing hockey in primary school in Mackay.  

She said growing up in regional Queensland allowed her to focus on her chosen sport with support from a tight-knit community.

Mackay was definitely where I learned the core skills of hockey,” Ms Colwill said.

“At this stage of my career I’ve got the best coaches, facilities and equipment but I’ll always appreciate the time and support I was first given back home.”

She follows in the footsteps of fellow Mackay athletes such as Olympians Cathy Freeman and Geoff Huegill, as well as Australian hockey representatives Baeden Choppy, Stephen Lambert, Matthew Swann, Tracey Belbin, Kirsten Dwyer and Teneal Attard.

“Their achievements inspire me as they have many young athletes, all around the world.”  

Ms Colwill said she knows her parents and the UQ and Mackay communities will be following her Commonwealth Games campaign from home.

“There’ll be plenty of people cheering me on, sending their love and support,” she said.

In total, nine UQ students, alumni and community members will compete at the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games, six of whom are Para-athletes.

Emily Meany

Sport: Diving (10m Individual Platform)

Course: Master of Physiotherapy

Elizabeth Dekkers

Sport: Swimming (200m Butterfly)

Course: Bachelor of Advanced Science

Lakeisha Patterson

Sport: Swimming (200m Individual Medley)

Classification: S10

Course: Bachelor of Communication

Felicity Cradick

Sport: Para Triathlon (Guide for Erica Burleigh)

Course: Bachelor of Health, Sport and Physical Education

Jack Ireland

Sport: Swimming (200m Freestyle)

Classification: S14

UQ Swim Club Member

Brenden Hall

Sport: Swimming (100m Backstroke) 

Classification: S9

Alum

Blake Cochrane

Sport: Swimming (100m Breaststroke)

Classification: SB7

Alum

Harrison Vig

Sport: Swimming (100m Backstroke)

Classification: S9

Course: Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)

Media: UQ Communications, communications@uq.edu.au, 0429 056 139.