A young man in glasses and a navy button-up shirt smiles at the camera. There is a leafy green tree in the background.
UQ's 2022 speech pathology Valedictorian Lachlan Scott. Image: Supplied.
16 December 2022

Lachlan Scott knows what it’s like to struggle to be heard.

The 2022 Valedictorian of UQ’s Bachelor of Speech Pathology has Tourette syndrome, which presents as vocal and physical tics.

“My Tourette’s is considered pretty mild and is well-managed now, but it was enough to have me singled out when I was young,” Mr Scott said.

“I guess it’s quite fitting that I’m about to start a career in paediatrics, helping children who are deaf or hearing impaired to listen and speak.”

The newly conferred speech pathologist begins his dream job with Hear and Say in January.

“We know early intervention can make a life-long difference to children who have difficulties with language and communication,” he said.

“I’ve been the kid who’s been ostracised and feels different, so I’m passionate about helping children have a better experience than I did.”

Mr Scott was diagnosed with Tourette’s at 10 and said he had a particularly hard time throughout primary school.

“I was determined that my high school experience would be different,” he said.

“I challenged myself and signed up for things that made me feel uncomfortable.

“I ended up doing stand-up comedy, slam poetry and became a state champion in public speaking.”

Mr Scott said his career direction wasn’t immediately obvious after finishing Year 12.  

“I knew I had a passion for healthcare - and communication - so when I was looking into tertiary study, speech pathology ticked both of those boxes,” he said.

“As the degree progressed and particularly when we got to placements, I knew I’d found the perfect fit.”

Mr Scott said he was concerned his Tourette’s would be seen as a disadvantage in a professional setting, and initially tried to suppress his tics.

“But I’m such an advocate for my patients and I had to advocate for myself as well,” he said.

“Tourette’s doesn’t make me less of a clinician, or less professional and I think it’s so important to normalise.”

Mr Scott said being named Valedictorian of his graduating cohort from UQ’s School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences was an incredible honour.  

“I’ve had the most amazing experience at UQ, learning from people who’ve done world-leading research in the area they’re teaching,” he said.

“The passion they have for the profession is so infectious and I just can’t wait to help make a difference.”

Media: UQ Communications, communications@uq.edu.au, +61 (0)429 056 139.