The University seeks to advocate awareness of and reduce the risk of exposure to infectious disease in the workplace.  Students who are not fully immunised put themselves, patients, clients and the placement providers at risk through potential contamination or spreading of infection and diseases. 

This is of particular importance to students in the Faculty of Health and Behavioural Sciences (HABS) who undertake practical placements as part of their program. In order to achieve this aim, students are required to comply with the University’s policy and guidelines with respect to Vaccinations and Immunisation (PPL2.60.08). 

To assist students with completing their vaccinations and demonstrating immunity, the Faculty has developed the HABS Student Immunisation Guide.

Please note that practical placements in some programs start as early as week 1. Failure to demonstrate immunity will affect your ability to go on placement or undertake clinical activities in some facilitates.

Click here to find out when and how to submit your immunisation form.


Compliance and Documentation

To comply with the University’s immunisation requirement, you are required to demonstrate that you have had all the required vaccinations by submitting the Student Immunisation Record^. These forms must be completed by registered General Practitioner (GP), who is not a family member, and returned to your relevant School. The forms can be accessed from the Placement Ready Resources page or from the ‘Forms’ tab of the Vaccination and Immunisation policy.

You must ensure that the form(s) are completed in full.  If any sections are incomplete or blank, the form will be returned to you so that it can be completed appropriately and then resubmitted.

^ The School of Dentistry also requires students to complete an ‘Exposure Prone Procedures Statement’.


International students

You are strongly encouraged to have the relevant vaccinations in your home country prior to commencing your study at the University.

To do, before departure:
  1. have all vaccinations prior to departure
  2. have the Student Immunisation Record form completed by a registered medical practitioner in your home country (only if the medical practitioner is able to complete the form in English)
  3. obtain a copy of all documents that relate to your vaccination history
To do, upon arrival:

(if the Student Immunisation Record form is not completed in home country)

  1. register with UQ Health Service
  2. make an appointment to receive any outstanding vaccinations and complete the Student Immunisation Record form (if not completed in home country in English)
  3. bring vaccination history documentation to appointment with UQ Health Services
Translating Documents:

Documents in a language other than English will need to be translated. This can be done by UQ Health Service when you attend your appointment to complete your Student Immunisation Record. Alternatively, you may contact the Institute of Modern Languages for translations services – fees apply.


Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ1: When and how do I submit my paperwork?

Click here to find out when and how to submit your pre-placement requirements.

FAQ2: What if I am unable to have all of the vaccinations finalised before placement?

Unfortunately this may mean you are unable to go on placement.  You are encouraged to seek advice from your School as soon as possible.

FAQ3: What about Hepatitis A immunisation - should I have this as well?

The Hepatitis A vaccination is not routinely required. If you are not certain, contact your School to clarify.

FAQ4: I have never had Chicken Pox or shingles - will I need to have this vaccination?

This is a mandatory vaccination and therefore you are required to have the vaccination.

FAQ5: What if I don’t respond to the Hepatitis-B vaccination?

A non-responder is a person without HBV infection who has a documented history of an age-appropriate primary course of Hepatitis B vaccine, but with a current anti-HBs level <10 mIU/mL. It is recommended that a single booster dose (4th dose) of the vaccine be given to confirm non-responder status. Antibody levels normally decrease and eventually become undetectable a variable number of years following vaccination. Response to the vaccine is determined by testing for the presence of adequate anti-HBs level (10mIU/ml or greater) at least 4 and preferable 6 weeks following vaccination or a booster dose. Persons who do not have adequate level of anti-HBs following vaccination and a booster dose, and in whom chronic HBV infection has been excluded, should seek medical advice to discuss their options. There are a number of potential options for non-responders which include further doses and possibly intradermal vaccination.

Persons confirmed by a Medical Practitioner to be Hepatitis B non-responders will need to complete the Hepatitis B Non-Responders form and submit to their School.  This may impact the placements available and your scope of practice.

FAQ6: What if I have a positive Tuberculosis test?

You will need to make an appointment at the Metro South Clinical Tuberculosis Service at the Princess Alexandra Hospital in Woolloongabba to identify if it is latent or active tuberculosis. Often there can be extended wait times so students are encouraged to organise their appointment as soon as possible.

If you have latent Tuberculosis and it is not infectious, the clinic will provide you with a letter confirming that you are not infectious and fit for placement. In most cases, you will be able to commence your placement.

If there is the potential for the tuberculosis to manifest, you will require treatment and you will be unable to commence your placement.

FAQ7: What if I test positive for a blood borne virus?

A blood borne virus includes Hepatitis B and C as well as HIV. If you have a blood borne virus or cannot achieve immunity to HBV you will need to seek advice and be counselled regarding the responsibilities and risks of your condition. It will be your responsibility to follow the Queensland Health Policy regarding Blood Borne Viruses, including never undertaking an exposure prone procedure and informing the necessary people to protect public safety.

Please be aware that students with a blood borne virus may not be permitted to enrol in certain programs.  Please seek further advice from your School.

FAQ9: Do I need to pay for my vaccinations?

You will need to pay for any vaccinations required. Vaccination costs are not covered by the Pharmaceutical Benefit Scheme, Medicare, Queensland Health or the University.  If you have private medical insurance, you may receive partial reimbursement for vaccine costs.

Tuberculosis: Pre-screening is offered free of charge by the Princess Alexandra Hospital Campus, via Cornwall Street, Woolloongabba.

FAQ10: Do I send the School a copy of the serology report as evidence?

Serology reports are not required.  Please only submit the completed Student Immunisation Record form that confirms immunity.