Faculty announces three new professorships

7 Dec 2018

Faculty announces three new professorshipsThe exemplary work of three academic staff members from UQ’s Faculty of Health and Behavioural Sciences has been recognised with their internal promotions to the rank of Professor.  

Associate Professors Paul Dux from UQ’s School of Psychology, Murray Phillips from UQ’s School of Human Movement and Nutrition Sciences and Acting Director of the UQ Poche Centre for Indigenous Health and Tim Carroll from UQ’s School of Human Movement and Nutrition Sciences will assume their professorships on 1 January 2019.

Faculty Executive Dean Professor Bruce Abernethy congratulated the academics on their significant contributions and dedication to their fields, students and the university.

“All three academics demonstrated consistent excellence in research, teaching, engagement and leadership,” Professor Abernethy said.

Associate Professor Paul Dux is a psychologist and neuroscientist who received his PhD from Macquarie University and then undertook a postdoctoral fellowship at Vanderbilt University in the United States. Professor Dux leads a group that uses cutting edge techniques to study the cognitive and neural underpinnings of human information-processing capacity limitations in health and disease.  Professor Dux has published widely, received several early career research awards and attracted funding from both the ARC and National Health and Medical Research Council.

“When I was promoted it was quite overwhelming. I thought a lot about the journey and the people I have worked with and been trained by. To be made a Professor is a wonderful achievement, but one doesn’t get there by oneself: I am lucky to have a great family, wonderful colleagues, students and postdocs past and present and my mentors gave me such a great start and continue to be wonderful supporters.”

Associate Professor Murray Phillips received his PhD in the field of Sport History from UQ. Dr Phillips teaches in the socio-cultural dimensions of sport and physical activities. He has written extensively on the historical and contemporary aspects of Indigenous sport, sport and war, sport and gender, sports' coaching, golf, rugby league, rugby union, sport structures as well as the ontological, epistemological and methodological aspects of sport history. Dr Phillips has received external funding from the Australian Research Council, Australian Sports Commission, the Australian Coaching Council, the Australian War Memorial, as well as internal funding from the Universities of Canberra, South Australia and Queensland.

“I have been very fortunate to be mentored by generous and talented people throughout my career. While I feel that my promotion was an individual achievement, it could not have been achieved without support from my family, friends and colleagues in the School of Human Movement and Nutrition Sciences and the UQ Poche Centre for Indigenous Health.” 

Associate Professor Tim Carroll received his doctorate in Neuroscience at UQ. His research interests lie at the interface between neuroscience and exercise science, as a scholar and educator focused on how the human brain controls the movements of our bodies. He has been consistently and internationally recognised for research excellence throughout his career, through research awards, fellowships, and grants.

“My goal is to create and exploit knowledge about brain function that translates to improvements in people’s lives in health, industry, sport and education.”