Learn more about yourself at UQ

Whether you are about to start university, or are a current student, there are so many new things to experience and learn! Through challenging coursework, group assessments and independent study, you may discover more about yourself too.

We spoke to students and recent graduates from a range of programs within the Faculty of Health and Behavioural Sciences to see what they have learned about themselves at UQ.

Master of Audiology Studies, Miriam

"Seeing how far I’ve come in just a year has proven to me that I am capable of more than I thought was possible.

From moving to a new country by myself and completing my first year of audiology, I’ve learned a lot about the fine line of managing my personal, social, and academic life. I’ve overcome various challenges which have encouraged me to delve deeper into valuable skills such as perseverance and dedication."

Read more from Miriam

Bachelor of Exercise and Sports Sciences (Honours), Carina

"How much I procrastinate. I didn’t realise how much I put off until it came to exam time in first semester of first year. I was shocked when I realised how much I had to catch up on because I didn’t absorb or revise the information or would tell myself I had plenty of time.

I also didn’t realise that I could engage so well with people. I’m a massive introvert and usually don’t like approaching or talking to people I don’t know, so this was a skill I was able to develop as I went through the program."

Read more from Carina

Bachelor of Pharmacy (Honours), Samantha

"Before studying pharmacy, I felt lost in my sense of professional identity as an aspiring healthcare provider, and I never considered myself to be a leader or mentor within my academic pursuits.

Having a faculty and network of pharmacists who support me in all my professional endeavours has given me the confidence to achieve beyond my own expectations within my profession."

Read more from Samantha

Bachelor of Health, Sport, and Physical Education (Honours), Isabelle

"I have learnt that the reward of pushing outside of my comfort zone far outweighs my fear of failure. The experiences I have had throughout the program were new and often challenging.

However, I can say with confidence that I have learnt that I can succeed, even when the path to success isn’t obvious or looks treacherous."

Read more from Isabelle

Bachelor of Social Work (Honours), Heidi

"I've learned that social work is definitely the career for me. That it’s the perfect outlet to make that difference I wanted to when I was younger. And I've learned that there are ways I can achieve that. I can help the people around me in a safe way, in a healthy way, and in a way that's actually going to make a really good difference.

It feels really good to empower others. Studying social work is giving me that exact tool."

Read more from Heidi

Exercise, Sport and Nutrition, Laura

"I really can do anything that I set my mind to. I've always been someone who tries to go for anything that comes at me anyway. But I think all the experiences that I've had at UQ, and what I've learned and my interactions with lecturers and other peers and people who I've worked for through this career – I think that I really lost that fear factor of what I can actually achieve."

"There are really no limits."

Read more from Laura

Bachelor of Nursing, Leon

"Initially I wasn't sure what side of nursing I wanted to do. I just knew I wanted to do nursing. I have learned that I want to learn a lot more about nursing and eventually do my master's in nursing. I want to do more for my community, and this is just the beginning."

Read more from Leon

Bachelor of Clinical Exercise Physiology (Honours), Luke

"I have learnt not to doubt myself. When I began, I was constantly worrying that I would fail an assessment piece or a subject. However, I never gave up, I tried my hardest and I would always end up succeeding."

Read more from Luke

Bachelor of Dental Science (Honours), Sean and Ryan

Ryan: "How important it is to really be confident in what you’re doing and believe in yourself. Especially in a clinic, it is important to be confident and know what you’re doing, and at the same time, carry out a role as a team leader – be able to cooperate with different healthcare professionals to provide the best care for the patients."

Sean: "I’ve become surer of what I am passionate about. UQ offers numerous opportunities to get involved and explore your passion, ranging from research to shadowing specialists. As a result, it didn’t take long for me to learn what drives me and what doesn’t get me out of bed in the morning."

Read more from Ryan and Sean

9 January 2023