Students who undertake practical placements as part of their program must be immunised to reduce the risk of exposure to infectious disease in the workplace. 

Students who are not fully immunised put themselves, patients, clients and the placement providers at risk through potential contamination or spreading of infection and diseases. You are required to comply with the University’s policy and guidelines with respect to vaccinations and immunisation (PPL2.60.08). 

For information on completing your vaccinations and demonstrating immunity, read the information provided, and contact your School directly with any immunisation enquiries or concerns.


Application time: up to 3 months

Cost: medical costs

Required immunisation forms

You need to submit a Student Immunisation Record form to demonstrate that you have had all the required vaccinations to comply with the University’s immunisation requirement. Each discipline requires a separate form to be completed. These forms must be completed by a registered General Practitioner (GP), who is not a family member, and returned to your relevant School. 

The forms can be accessed from the ‘Forms’ tab of the University's Vaccination and Immunisation policy guide (PPL, 2.60.08).

You must ensure that the form(s) are completed in full. If any sections are incomplete or blank, the form will be returned to you so that it can be completed and then resubmitted.

Serology reports are not required. Please only submit the completed Student Immunisation Record form that confirms immunity.

The School of Dentistry also requires students to complete an ‘Exposure Prone Procedures Statement’ in addition to the Student Immunisation Record.

View Student Immunisation Record forms

Top of page

Submitting your immunisation forms

Submission deadlines vary between disciplines. All student Immunisation Record forms must be submitted via InPlace by your discipline's deadline. Visit the Submitting Your Documents page for deadlines and instructions on how to submit your forms.

Visit Submitting your documents

Top of page

Vaccination Schedule


Vaccine Schedule

Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis

Complete childhood vaccination course (CCV)


One documented dose of DTPa vaccine within last 10 years

Measles, Mumps, Rubella

Documented evidence of 2 doses of MMR vaccine given at least 28 days apart


A serology report confirming immunity to measles, mumps and rubella

Chickenpox (varicella)

Documented evidence of 2 doses of varicella vaccine given at least 28 days apart*


A blood test showing immunity


An influenza vaccination is strongly recommended in the Autumn of each year after the latest flu vaccine has been released (usually March/April). Certain clinical placements will only accept students who have had the influenza vaccination to allow for staff and patient safety.

Hepatitis B

Nursing, Midwifery and Dentistry students ONLY

The student has had a full course of age appropriate hepatitis B vaccination (please include dose dates) AND has produced protective antibodies against hepatitis B.


The student is currently undergoing vaccination against hepatitis B (and will complete the full schedule and serology).


Not susceptible to hepatitis B. Evidence of previous hepatitis B exposure shown on serology

Hepatitis B


All other students enrolled into a program of study through the Faculty of Health and Behavioural Sciences

The student has been fully vaccinated.


Has produced protective antibodies against hepatitis B


The student is currently undergoing vaccination against hepatitis B (and will complete the 3 dose schedule)


Not susceptible to hepatitis B. Evidence of previous hepatitis B exposure must be shown on serology.


Read the Tuberculosis (TB) Screening Information and complete and upload the Queensland Health Tuberculosis Risk Assessment Form for Students

Hepatitis A

Required for Health Care Workers who work in remote Indigenous communities or with Indigenous children in NT, Qld, SA and WA, and other specified healthcare workers in some jurisdictions.

If instructed by School, full protection, adults require two doses of the vaccine.
Top of page

International students

You are strongly encouraged to have the relevant vaccinations in your home country prior to commencing your study at the University.

To do, before departure:
  1. Have all vaccinations prior to departure
  2. Have the Student Immunisation Record form completed by a registered medical practitioner in your home country (only if the medical practitioner is able to complete the form in English)
  3. Obtain a copy of all documents that relate to your vaccination history
To do, upon arrival:

(If the Student Immunisation Record form is not completed in home country)

  1. Register with UQ Health Service
  2. Make an appointment to receive any outstanding vaccinations and complete the Student Immunisation Record form (if not completed in home country in English)
  3. Bring your vaccination history documentation to your appointment with UQ Health Services
Translating Documents:

Documents in a language other than English will need to be translated. This can be done by UQ Health Service when you attend your appointment to complete your Student Immunisation Record. Alternatively, you may contact the Institute of Modern Languages for translations services – fees apply.

Top of page

What to do if you receive positive test results

Positive Tuberculosis test result

You will need to make an appointment at the Metro South Clinical Tuberculosis Service at the Princess Alexandra Hospital in Woolloongabba to identify if it is latent or active tuberculosis. Often there can be extended wait times so students are encouraged to organise their appointment as soon as possible.

If you have latent Tuberculosis and it is not infectious, the clinic will provide you with a letter confirming that you are not infectious and fit for placement. In most cases, you will be able to commence your placement.

If there is the potential for the tuberculosis to manifest, you will require treatment and you will be unable to commence your placement.

Positive blood borne virus test result

A blood borne virus includes Hepatitis B and C as well as HIV. If you have a blood borne virus and you are in a dentistry, nursing or midwifery program, you will need to seek advice and be counselled regarding the responsibilities and risks of your condition. It will be your responsibility to follow the Communicable Diseases Network Australia, 2019 guidelines. Further information is available from the Queensland Health website on working with a blood borne virus.

Please be aware that students with a blood borne virus (BBV) may not be permitted to enrol in certain programs. If you have questions regarding your BBV status and eligibility to engage in exposure-prone procedures (Section 3 of the form) please contact the Occupational Health Nurse Advisor as soon as possible for advice ( 

Top of page

What to do if you don't respond to the Hepatitis-B vaccination

A non-responder is a person without HBV infection who has a documented history of an age-appropriate primary course of Hepatitis B vaccine, but with a current anti-HBs level <10 mIU/mL. It is recommended that a single booster dose (4th dose) of the vaccine be given to confirm non-responder status. Antibody levels normally decrease and eventually become undetectable a variable number of years following vaccination. Response to the vaccine is determined by testing for the presence of adequate anti-HBs level (10mIU/ml or greater) at least 4, and preferably 6 weeks, following vaccination or a booster dose. Persons who do not have adequate level of anti-HBs following vaccination and a booster dose, and in whom chronic HBV infection has been excluded, should seek medical advice to discuss their options. There are a number of potential options for non-responders which include further doses and possibly intradermal vaccination.

Persons confirmed by a medical practitioner to be Hepatitis B non-responders will need to complete the Hepatitis B Non-Responders form (PDF, 208KB) and submit it to their School. 

Top of page

What to do if you're unable to complete all the required vaccinations (Non-compliance)

If you fail to complete the vaccination requirements or cannot provide proof of immunity, you may be unable to go on placement. The requirement for completing the immunisation schedule may only be waived or varied if approved by the Executive Dean or delegate.

If you are unable to complete all the required vaccinations for any reason, you will need to submit a Request for a Rule Waiver in writing to the Faculty by emailing Please ensure you include the following in your request:

  • Full Name and Student ID
  • Name of Program
  • Incomplete Vaccination
  • Detailed reason(s) as to why you cannot complete the vaccination schedule and meet requirements
  • Supporting documentation / medical advice if relevant.

You will be advised in writing the decision by the Executive Dean or delegate.

Top of page

Vaccination costs

You will need to pay for any vaccinations required. Vaccination costs are not covered by the Pharmaceutical Benefit Scheme, Medicare, Queensland Health or the University. If you have private medical insurance, you may receive partial reimbursement for vaccine costs.

Tuberculosis pre-screening is offered free of charge by the Princess Alexandra Hospital Campus, via Cornwall Street, Woolloongabba.

Top of page

Accessing Vaccination Records

If you have been vaccinated in the past (for example, in school) but do not have records, you may be able to access records through:

Australian Childhood Immunisation Register (ACIR), or;

Vaccination Information and Vaccination Administration System (VIVAS) database

The Vaccination Information and Vaccination Administration System (VIVAS) database provides a record for all individuals vaccinated with vaccines supplied through Queensland Health in Queensland since 1996. Public Health Units in Queensland have access and are able to confirm whether the database includes records about their past immunisations.

Further options for accessing immunisation history can be found on the Department of Health website.

Top of page

Student Record Keeping

Written documentation, such as an International Certificates of Vaccination booklet, should be kept of all immunisations. Apart from acting as an official record of immunisations for overseas travel, it is also designed to serve as a permanent record of routine and work/course related immunisations. It is advisable to keep such records indefinitely.

Top of page